Heeward : 2018-10-1;21:56
A great site and thank you for all your work. Therefore in appreciation, I have now reviewed every picture.
Richard : 2018-7-6;12:41
This site has a super collection of the speeches of Winston Churchill.... not just related to the Navy but covering all the early years of the war.
Night Shift Mutants : 2018-5-6;23:40
Love it - helps us get by at night.
Andreas : 2018-5-1;15:11
Very nice and instructive.
Mike : 2018-4-28;14:46
Please let me know what you think of the site.
This site is my small tribute to the men of all navies who served on ships in WW2. Never forget what they did!
So now you are here, what is there to see? What makes this site different is the war at sea is told by those who were there. Personal stories explain what it was like to be on a ship during World War 2. If you are more interested in the ships or the actions of WWII at sea, then we have that as well. There is a lot of information, spread over 453 pages - so we have worked hard to make it easy to find what you want.
- use the drop down menu from the buttons above to get an idea of the information available
- you can tour around part of the site from Todays Pages under Info, or use the thumbnails on the right
- to read about experiences of World War 2 at sea follow the Stories menu
- many of the photos link directly to a relevant information page
- to find one of the 2,049 photos, use the Image search - and you can vote to decide which are the best
- to see the photos with the highest votes go to Best Pics or Best Pic Gallery under Info
- you can add a comment for the site, any page, and most pics. Maybe it has a particular importance for you, or you disagree with the attribution of a pic or some other fact. Whatever, add a comment.
- recently added comments can be found under Info.
- to see recently added photos go to New Pics under Info
- how good is your warship knowledge, find out with the Quiz under Misc , there are 22 to choose from graded from easy to hard.
- a new book review each month, see Books under Misc
- to see the pages with the highest votes go to Best Pages under Info
- if there are pages with further information to the current page, there will be a 'Related' menu
- detailed cruiser and battleship data is under the RN Ships, US Ships and Ships menus
- every ship has photos, statistics and a war record, plenty of info for the model boat community
- the mystery warship page needs an expert in identifying US BB, see Unknown ship under Info
- to see all the pictures use Photo Gallery under Info
- to find out the location of a RN ship during World War 2 see Fleet Locator under Info (desktop only)
- there is a growing video archive from the Info menu
- notice something not working, a factual error, or have an idea for an improvement, the Bug Tracker is under the Admin menu
- Whats New and the FAQ are under the Admin menu
- to find out what other people are looking at see Popular pages from Info
- Todays Pics under Info has random photos from the archive
- there is a growing portfolio of very detailed drawings showing how each ship evolved through its lifetime. Examples are shown below. They are very detailed and the result of immense research by Eric Leon and 'Nimitz', together with many helpers around the world. They are unique and only available on this site. You can vote below to choose the next work.
- a review of RN and Commonwealth camouflage from the artist Mal Wright is available from the Art menu.
- to find all the information on a particular ship, action, or subject - use the Site search - every word on the 453 pages is indexed
- to research a ship lost during WW1 or WW2, use the Ships Sunk search - information on 13,000 ships, Cruisers, Carriers, Battleships, Submarines, MTBs, Tanker, Cargo, Passenger etc, etc and for warships there will be a map to find out where it was sunk
- to research a battle follow the Actions menu - D-Day, Savo Island, the Battle of the River Plate, Guadalcanal, Crete, Pedestal, Bismarck, Scharnhorst, and so on, are all there
Duke of York
Nim wants to make sure his work is high quality, and he is having problems depicting the early morning take offs from Akagi. It is coming, but the good news is he has completed Salt Lake City, and New Mexico is next with Akagi in the background for completion when possible.
Photos - 2,049
Pages - 453
Page Votes - 5,589
Pages yesterday - 508
Pages viewed today - 581
Most pages viewed - 4,550
Photo Votes - 1,145,712
Last ship vote - Sheffield; Ex
Most votes in a day - 2,100
Votes today - 0
Users Online - 50
Votes yesterday - 1
Votes per day - 194.36
Most Users per hour - 560
Most Today - 71
The following letters very nicely sum up what the site is about
I just read your article, my Dad, Leslie Bowes, was on HMS Arethusa for 7 years, 39-46, he never talked much about what happened on it, in fact as a kid I used to tease him about the ship having such a goofy name. He died some years ago, in fact one of the the few things I still have of my Dads are his war medals. It really hits home just what those men went through and the sacrifices they made.
Thank you for the cruiser and battleship sites for WW2. My father served in Revenge and finding info on your site that totally relates to the stories he told us is amazing. Seeing other people's enquires too, is amazing as it confirms the pain and emotional conflict that so many veterans were left with, leaving us, as near relatives, unable to understand why so many would not speak or could not settle adequately back to civilian life.
Again thanks for all your hard work
This is a wonderful site. My father Charles Watters was a survivor of the Gloucester and died in 1981. It brought tears to my eyes viewing the photos and reading the stories of what he endured. If anyone knows of him please contact me at this site.
Thank you S Montgomery Canada
Please let me know if you, or someone you know, has memories or ship photos you would like to publish. I very much appreciate all the photos, suggestions, corrections and contributions sent to me, keep them coming. Much of the site is made up of your contributions. If you are interested in writing up a particular theme, ship or action for publication on the site, please let me know.
If you have a question please email me - my address can be found in the Admin menu, or right-click, but check the FAQ page first.
NOTE TO OTHER WEBMASTERS: please do NOT copy any part of this site for use in any other site! I and many others put time and effort into research, typing and design. Do your own work rather than copy mine.